Forests cover almost a third of the earth's surface. A large number of plants and animals live in them and they provide us with food, medicine, among many other things.
In addition, forests provide us with the oxygen we breathe and help make the planet's temperature ideal for all of us to live.
What can we do then to return this great favor they do to us?
Here are some simple ideas that we can start to apply:
• Reduce the amount of paper we use. When necessary, try to buy paper made out of recycled materials
• Lend, share or donate books. If you have one at home that you know you won't read again, share it with someone who might like it. If you want to continue supporting an author and not hurt his sales by lending his book, invite him to also have a digital version and / or audiobook.
• Plant a tree. Click here to learn more about all the great benefits that this brings for us and, clearly, for the planet.
• Learn about the importance of forests and the threats they face. The more we know about this ecosystem, the more we will appreciate its beauty and understand the important role it has for the planet. Also, by having more knowledge we can inform and inspire others.
• Purchasing products with a purpose. Although a better solution would be to consume less things, when we buy we can leave a positive footprint if we support projects that give something back to the planet - Cromatiko for example :)
• Reduce our carbon footprint. Use more public transportion or cycling, regulate the thermostat at home (a few degrees will make a big difference), turn off the lights and electronics when not in use and use tote bags instead of the plastic ones.
As we always say around here, every step, no matter how small it may seem, does count. Let's start doing our part, then, so we can leave this world better than we found it.